My photo
Wilson Borough, Pennsylvania, United States
My world consists of my boys and their women in their lives. My grandchildren, who bring such joy to my life. My pets, who I adore very much and love watching them interact with each other. My hubby, Chuck, and his passion, Stampede Band. Plus, any ramblings I want to do. So, I hope you enjoy your visit into "My World" through my eyes.

December 11, 2008

Now My Firing Is Making Philadelphia News

I really wished I would have talked to that reporter, Stacie Weaver, to give her my side of the story, but I was too afraid to be on camera. Now, I regret it this morning as I am writing this posting.

Yes, I feel it was very wrong for Wilson Borough Council to fire me for not letting me explain the truth behind all this bull. I don't really care what they think of me, after, all this was made public. All I care about is the well being of our school children. The Wilson Borough Council ought to worry about the corners being covered, now that they are very short on crossing guards. If a child gets hit by a car and there was no guard on the corner where it happened, oh boy, huge lawsuit. I hope, it doesn't happen, because that will be on their heads.

I didn't do that job for 27 years, if I didn't like the kids. Who in their right mind would work with 2 artificial knees in all kinds of weather and jeopardize injuring themselves, if they didn't like their job.

Wilson Borough claim to be equal opportunity employers, YEAH RIGHT THEY ARE. Here is what happened to me. I was a meter-maid and a crossing guard for the boro, when I was having my knee problems. I fell on the job and tore my menisci, which developed into major problems later. I was told by Dr. Reid that I had to use a cane for assistance while walking around Easton Hospital writing tickets. Well, I was called in for using my cane, so I walked with a lot of pain. Then, it got to be very hard for me to continue to walk like that, so I started using my car and driving around to write tickets. Well, I got called in again for doing that. They said I wasn't covered on their insurance to do that. That is when I made a decision to resign as a longtime meter-maid of almost 12 years. I tried to continue being a crossing guard at that time, but it was getting harder and harder for me to continue doing that. Dr. Reid told me that all the walking and standing on the concrete wasn't good for my knees and it would kill me. That is when I made the decision to resign as a school guard. I really missed not working with the kids.

I had my first knee replacement in October of 2002. After is was healed and I could walk and stand with no more pain, I decided to apply to be a school crossing guard again. I was hired back in 2003. Well, shortly after being hired back, I was informed by another orthopedic doctor, Dr. Iallegio (he did both knees), that I had to have the other knee replaced. I waited until school was out and had it done. I was able to go back to work after the summer was over. So, I only missed one year from being a crossing guard. If I didn't do my job well enough I don't think I would have been hired back. DO YOU?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello- im sorry to hear of your unfortunate situation & am glad that you are back in action ^_^

do you have a link to an article with the original coverage of this story?