My photo
Wilson Borough, Pennsylvania, United States
My world consists of my boys and their women in their lives. My grandchildren, who bring such joy to my life. My pets, who I adore very much and love watching them interact with each other. My hubby, Chuck, and his passion, Stampede Band. Plus, any ramblings I want to do. So, I hope you enjoy your visit into "My World" through my eyes.

September 25, 2010

My Letter to the Editor in today's Express-Times Newspaper

Wilson should have lowered flag for Karp

I was employed by the Borough of Wilson as a school crossing guard and as a meter maid for 27 years, until 2008. This past week the borough lost one of its employees, police department secretary Wanda Karp.

I and many others are very distraught that the flag at headquarters wasn’t flown at half-staff in honor of her years and dedication. You’d think she would have gotten this respect for being such a loyal, well-liked employee. I guess she wasn’t important enough to some people at the top.

Shame on them. I worked with Wanda for many years. She was well-known to all the departments as former Chief Richard Nace’s and the officers’ right-hand person in the office. When the ex-chief would say to her, hold off all calls to me, she did that so well.

She was good at protecting her fellow officers and being there for the other borough employees if they needed her assistance.

Why didn’t they give her that respect with the flag?

SUSAN JARRELL
Wilson Borough

1 comment:

Ceile said...

I happened upon your blog today. The argument about flag position is a tough one, although there are national guidelines in place outlining when it is appropriate to lower the flag to half-staff. Please see here:
http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html#173

While it would have been a nice gesture, a flag can only be flown at half-staff to honor the death of a person by order of the President of the United States.